Don’t let a tight budget stop you from cooking at home. Frugal can be flavorful.
Here’s a recipe that’ll tantalize the tastebuds and keep the wallet fat:
Mozzarella and Mushroom Stuffed Chicken with Baked Parmesan Tomatoes and Steamed Broccoli
Ingredients (2 Servings):
- 2 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1 lb. Fresh Broccoli
- 2 Tomatoes
- Mozzarella Cheese (fresh or shredded)
- 1 4 oz. Can of Mushrooms
- Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Spices for Chicken
- Mix of Italian Spices or just Oregano for Tomatoes
- Pre-heat oven to 365º.
- Prepare chicken by slicing breast to form a pocket. Slice the chicken like you would if you were going to butterfly the breast but not cutting all the way through. Then add spices to chicken. I use a roasted garlic and herb poultry seasoning.
- I like to sauté my mushrooms in a pan with a little minced garlic and butter before adding to the chicken but if not, stuff the chicken with mozzarella cheese and mushroom pieces. I used up some shredded mozzarella I had in the fridge but fresh mozzarella will work too.
- Bake the chicken for about 25-30 minutes or until no longer pink.
- While chicken is cooking prepare tomatoes by cutting in halves. Top them off with a drizzle of olive oil, a little salt, pepper, oregano or mix of Italian spices, and grated parmesan cheese.
- Place halves on a baking sheet and pop them in the oven for about 15 minutes.
- While those are both cooking, start steaming your broccoli in a pot with water, salt, pepper, and I like to add a little minced garlic for flavor. Once boiling, place lid on pot. They should be done in about 7 minutes or until florets are just soft enough to pierce with a fork.
- Plate and Enjoy!
Dinner for two only cost me $10! Can’t go wrong for $5 per person for a tasty meal.